Mustang, formerly Kingdom of Lo, is a remote and isolated region of the Nepalese Himalayas. The Upper Mustang was a restricted demilitarized area until 1992. Upper Mustang is very scenic, its attracts many tourist to discover an isolated region for centuries. Highest altitude of Upper Mustang Lo Manthang trek is 3840 meters / 12598 feet above sea level. Mustang is hidden behind the spectacular Himalayan ranges.
“Tiji” the name is an abbreviation of the word “Tempa Chirim” which means “Prayer for World Peace”. This tiji festival commemorates the victory of Lord Buddha’s incarnation Dorjee Sonnu over a demon called Man Tam Ru a vicious creature feeding on human beings and causing storms and droughts.
The date of the festival is based on the Tibetan calendar and changes every year but usually occurs in May. A lunar festival, every year the tiji festival dates are different. In 2021 the festival will take place on 08th May, 09th May, and 10th May. You are immersed in the sights and sounds of rituals that explode in vibrant colour and extraordinary sounds at this unique and amazing festival depicting the battle of good over evil.
This overland tour guiding to the forbidden kingdom of Nepal along the ancient trade route between Nepal and Tibet exploiting the lowest pass of the Kora La through the Himalaya west of Sikkim falls under moderate trek. One must be physically fit and keep an eye open for signs of altitude sickness due to thinning air with the rising elevation.
The Mustang Jeep Trek in the remote Himalayan region of this semi-independent Tibetan Kingdom. Offers an 4WD adventurous 12 days itinerary with spectacular scenery. through striking semi-arid desert with colourful rock formations, deep ravines and snow-capped peaks. Still an unusual place to go, even for Nepal enthusiasts, so expect more basic facilities.
Tiji Festival Jeep Tour Facts
|Trip Duration||12 nights / 13 days|
|Tour Location||Kathmandu + Pokhara + Jomsom + Muktinath + Charang + Lo Manthang|
|High Elevation||3840 meters / 12598 feet|
|Pickup Points||Tribhuvan International Airport|
|Trip activities||English Speaking Guide + Private 4WD Vehicle + Cultural Festival Tour.|
|Group Size||2-15 Persons.|
Tiji Festival Jeep Tour Highlights
- You will be a live participant in the whole proceeding of the festival.
- City sightseeing tour in Kathmandu and Pokhara
- Take a journey in 4WD Land Cruiser or mahindra scorpio.
- Feel the Buddhist spirituality and beliefs via Tiji Festival.
- Experience mini Tibet: Tibetan people/culture/lifestyles/ ancient cave.
- Visit agnificent barren landscapes ancient caves, monasteries and archeological sites.
- Experience the Himalaya views from its backyard.
- Visit Muktinath: important pilgrimage site for Hindus and Buddhist.
- Take a journey through Kaligandaki George, the world deepest.
We’ll pick you up at the airport and transfer to your hotel. In the evening we meet for a welcome dinner with cultural performance and will brief about the tour in details. Overnight at the hotel in Kathmandu;
04 May Day 2: FLY KATHMANDU TO POKHARA (850m) – 20M FLIGHT
After breakfast, we catch a short flight to Pokhara and go sightseeing in the afternoon for World Peace Pagoda, Davi’s Fall and old cave. Overnight at the hotel in Pokhara
05 May Day 3: FLY TO JOMSOM AND DRIVE TO KAGBENI (2800m)
We fly northwest from Pokhara towards the great portal between the snow-covered peaks of Annapurna and Dhaulagiri. Upon reaching Jomsom, we drive by jeep to Kagbeni. Overnight stay at a teahouse in Kagbeni;
06 May Day 4: DRIVE TO CHARANG (3540m)
We reach Ghami where we pass through one of the longest Buddhist Mani walls of Nepal surrounded by the beautiful Himalayas. Continuing further, the trail leads us to the village of Charang. Overnight at a teahouse in Charang;
07 May Day 5: DRIVE TO LO MANTHANG (3840M)
After breakfast, we visit the monastery in Charang village and continue trekking. Upon reaching the capital of Mustang, we get to observe red mountains instead of regular white snowcapped. Overnight stay at a teahouse in Lo Manthang;
08 May Day 6: TIJI FESTIVAL AT LO MANTHANG
Today, we observe the first day of the fascinating Tiji festival. The first day of this festival is full of colourful dances by the monks depicting the harassment of Ma Tam Ru Ta in a dance called “Tsa Chham”. Overnight stay at a teahouse in Lo Manthang;
09 May Day 7: SECOND DAY OF TIJI FESTIVAL
On the second day of the Tiji festival – the performers enact the birth of Dorjee jonnu as the demon’s son. Overnight stay at a teahouse in Lo Manthang;
10 May Day 8: THIRD DAY OF TIJI FESTIVAL
The last day of Tiji festival depicts the attempt to return the demon to Lord Buddha’s realm. With the death of the demon the festival ends. Overnight stay at a teahouse in Lo Manthang;
11 May Day 09: JEEP RIDE LO MANTHNAG TO JOMSOM (2,743 m / 8,999 ft)
We’ll take a drive via Kagbeni to Jomsom and get a chance to enjoy the last views of Tibetan landscapes, architecture and culture. Overnight in Jomsom;
12 May Day 10: FLIGHT TO POKHARA (850m)
In the morning we take a flight to Pokhara, the rest of the day is free for relaxing on the lakeside and bo boating on the Phewa lake. Overnight at the hotel;
13 May Day 11: DRIVE TO KATHMANDU
After breakfast, we’ll take a smooth and scenic drive to Kathmandu along the Trishuli River and roadside towns for about 6-8hrs. Overnight at the hotel in Kathmandu;
14 May Day 12: KATHMANDU SIGHTSEEING
After breakfast we’ll on a full day sightseeing of Kathmandu and explore UNESCO World Heritage Sites such as Patan Durbar Square, Kathmandu Durbar Square and Bhaktapur Durbar Square. In the evening we’ll go for a farewell dinner. Overnight at the hotel in Kathmandu
15 May Day 13: FINAL DEPARTURE
You’ll be transferred to the airport by our representative 3hrs prior to your departure.
- International & domestic airport transfers as per the itinerary.
- 3 nights accommodation in Kathmandu with Bed and Breakfast plan.
- 1 night accommodation in Pokhara with Bed and Breakfast plan.
- Kathmandu Sightseeing by professional english speaking tour guide.
- Kathmandu – Pokhara – Kathmandu domestic flight.
- Pokhara – Jomsom – Pokhara Flight.
- 4WD Jeep Jomsom to Lo-Mangthang to Jomsom by Toyota Landcruser or Mahindra Scorpio.
- 3 meals a day during the trip (Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner) as mention in itinerary.
- Accommodation while trekking in twin sharing basis in guesthouses.
- Annapurna conservation area permit and TIMS card.
- Upper Mustang Restricated area permit fee.
- Professional government lisence holder English speaking trekking guide.
- Sleeping bag and duffel bag during the trek. (Refundable after finish the trip)
- Medical supplies (first aid kit will be available).
- 1 farewell dinner in Kathmandu
- All government and local taxes.
- All entrance fees for sightseeing places
- Alcoholic, hot and cold drinks.
- Your international flights
- Nepal visa fees & airport taxes
- Personal travel insurance (strongly recommended)
- Gear or equipment for your trek
- Personal expenses along the trek
- Tiji Festival Camara fees, and other donation
- If you would like to ride on pony
- Tips for your city guide, drivers, hotels, restaurants, etc.
- Extra night accommodation then mention plan
|2-4||Guaranteed||USD 2050||INR 115000|
|5-8||Guaranteed||USD 1950||INR 99000|
|9-15||Guaranteed||USD 1860||INR 96000|
What is Mustang famous for?
Is Tiji Festival Trek suitable for Kids?
Flexible Itineraries for Tiji Festival Jeep Tour
Our twelve days itinerary for Tiji Festival Jeep Tour is designed for both experienced as well as beginner trekkers. Upper Mustang is basically a moderate level short overland destination. So, if you have a time limitation and still want to explore the region, you can join us at Nepal Visitors. Follow this article if you want to know more about your incredible overland trip to Upper Mustang.
Accommodation, Food And Drink Facility
Upper Mustang is a camping / teahouse trekking route. You will find teahouses and lodges at various places on the trek where you can stay for overnight. Do not expect the facilitated tea houses. Offer basic meals in a communal eating hall along with bedrooms, usually with two single beds.
The Tiji Festival | Documentary
Getting travel insurance
It’s always better to be safe than sorry. Especially for an intense experience like 4Wd Jeep tour to Lo Manthang, I recommend purchasing travel insurance for your own peace of mind. There has been numerous insurance company of choice because of their comprehensive health coverage with 24/7 medical emergency assistance. As well, the process to making claims is super easy and smooth!
Book with Local Operator
Nepal Visitors is regularly organising this special Upper Mustang Tiji festival jeep tour each year. The booking for 2021 trip is already open, limited seats are limited. Thus hurry up and reserve your place to witness this Tiji festival in Lo Monthang, Upper Mustang in May 2021.