Mustang, formerly Kingdom of Lo, is a remote and isolated region of the Nepalese Himalayas. The Upper Mustang was a restricted demilitarized area until 1992. Upper Mustang is very scenic, its attracts many tourist to discover an isolated region for centuries. Highest altitude of Trek is 3840 meters / 12598 feet above sea level.
Mustang is hidden behind the spectacular Himalayan ranges. The sandy terrain, amazing yak caravans, exquisite mountains views, ancient monasteries, traditional costumes, Tibetan culture, and the spiritual values of the region make Mustang Tiji Festival Trekking a delight for the visitors.
The festival trek is a combination of the fascinating Mustang villages, Buddhist shrines, and the spiritual values in the region, and features the most sacred festival of the walled capital of Lo-Manthang. Mustang Tiji Festival Trek is an opportunity to witness the vivid Tibetan culture of the last forbidden Kingdom of Lo.
Tiji Festival is celebrated in Lo-Manthang (Upper Mustang) of Nepal. It is the most important spiritual ceremony which is influenced by Tibetan Buddhism. Tiji Festival Trek is a three days long festival celebrated to mark the victory of Buddha’s incarnation over a demon. The ritual is known as the ‘Chasing of Demons‘.
The trek starts from Kathmandu and ends in the same city. A single day of our trek includes not more than 5 to 7 hours of walking. Mustang Trekking is the best during all the time in a year even in Monsoon season as entire Upper Mustang lies in a rain-shadow area in the trans-Himalayan mountain region.
Tiji Festival Trek Facts:
|Tiji Festival Trek Dates||27th, 28th, and 29th May 2022|
|Trip Duration||18 nights / 19 days|
|Trek Location||Kathmandu + Pokhara + Jomsom + Muktinath + Charang |
+ Lo Manthang + Yara + Ghara + Tange + Tetang
|High Elevation||3840 meters / 12598 feet|
|Pickup Points||Tribhuvan International Airport|
|Trip Activities||English Speaking Trek Guide + 14 days hiking + City Tour.|
|Group Size||2-15 Persons.|
Tiji Festival Trek Highlights
- Attend the colorful annual Buddhist Tiji Festival (3 days).
- Explore the long-forbidden walled city of Lo Manthang.
- Visit three World Heritage Sites of the Kathmandu Valley.
- Experience spectacular flights between Kathmandu Pokhara and Jomsom.
- High-altitude landscapes of the Himalayas.
Day 02: Half Day sightseeing of Kathmandu city & Fly to Pokhara (840m) – 25m flight
Day 03: Fly to Jomsom (2,700/8,856ft), and Trek to Kagbeni (2,810m/9,216ft) – 4 hours hiking
Day 04: Trek to Chhusang (3050m/10,004ft) – 5 hours hiking
Day 05: Trek to Syangbochen (3800m /12,464 ft) – 7 hrs hiking
Day 06: Trek to Ghami (3510m) – 5 hrs hiking
Day 07: Trek to Tsarang (3,560m/11,677ft) – 5/6 hrs hiking
Day 08: Trek Lo- Manthang (3810m/ 12,497ft) – 7/8 hrs
27th May 2022 Day 09: First day of Tiji festival
28th May 2022 Day 10: Second day of Tiji festival
29th May 2022 Day 11: Final day of Tiji festival
Day 12: Trek to Dhakmar (3820m/12530ft.) – 6 hrs hiking
Day 13: Trek to Syangbochen (3,475m/11,398ft) – 6/7 hrs hiking
Day 14: Trek to Chhusang (3050m/10,004ft). 5/6 hrs hiking
Day 15: Trek to Muktinath (3710m). 6/7 hrs hiking
Day 16: Trek to Jomsom (2,700/8,856ft) – 4 hrs hiking
Day 17: Fly to Pokhara – 20m and rest time to explore in Pokhara.
Day 18: Fly to Kathmandu, free last day in Kathmandu for shopping
Day 19: Trip end and Fly back to home.
- International & domestic airport transfers as per the itinerary.
- 2 nights accommodation in Kathmandu with Bed and Breakfast plan.
- 2 nights accommodation in Pokhara with Bed and Breakfast plan.
- 18 breakfast, 14 Lunch, 15 dinner during the trip.
- Kathmandu Sightseeing by professional English speaking tour guide.
- Kathmandu – Pokhara – Kathmandu domestic flight.
- Pokhara – Jomsom – Pokhara Flight.
- 3 meals a day during the trip (Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner) as mention in itinerary.
- Accommodation while trekking in twin sharing basis in guesthouses.
- Annapurna conservation area permit and TIMS card.
- Upper Mustang Restricted area permit fee.
- Professional government license holder English speaking trekking guide.
- Sleeping bag and duffel bag during the trek. (Refundable after finish the trip)
- Medical supplies (first aid kit will be available).
- 1 farewell dinner in Kathmandu
- All government and local taxes.
- All entrance fees for sightseeing places
- Alcoholic, hot and cold drinks.
- Your international flights
- Nepal visa fees & airport taxes
- Personal travel insurance (strongly recommended)
- Gear or equipment for your trek
- Personal expenses along the trek
- Tiji Festival Camara fees, and other donation
- If you would like to ride on pony
- Tips for your city guide, drivers, hotels, restaurants, etc.
- Extra night accommodation then mention plan
|2-4||Guaranteed||USD 2050||INR 115000|
|5-8||Guaranteed||USD 1950||INR 99000|
|9-15||Guaranteed||USD 1860||INR 96000|
What is Mustang famous for?
Is Tiji Festival Trek suitable for Kids?
Upper Mustang Tiji Festival Trek 2022 Dates
Upper Mustang Tiji Festival is a 3 days-long festival celebrated in the – Upper Mustang, Lo-Manthang. The mysterious Buddhist festival one of the main celebrations in the upper Mustang. Tiji festival is going to celebrated according to the Tibetan calendar. Upcoming Tiji festival 2022 dates are from 27th May, 28th May, and 29th May 2022.
However, day 2nd and 3rd is the mail time and colorful with the various mask dance performance by Buddhist monks and lamas. Sign up with Himalayan Trip today if you are interested in this festival trek to Mustang.
Flexible Itineraries for Tiji Festival Trek
Our eighteen days itinerary for Tiji Festival Tour is designed for both experienced as well as beginner trekkers. Upper Mustang is basically a moderate level trekking destination. So, if you have a time limitation and still want to explore the region, you can join us at Himalayan Trip. Follow this article if you want to know more about your incredible trip to Upper Mustang.
Accommodation, Food And Drink Facility
Upper Mustang is a camping / teahouse trekking route. You will find teahouses and lodges at various places on the trek where you can stay for overnight. Do not expect the facilitated tea houses. Offer basic meals in a communal eating hall along with bedrooms, usually with two single beds.
The Tiji Festival Trek | Documentary
Getting travel insurance
It’s always better to be safe than sorry. Especially for an intense experience like Upper Mustang Lo Manthang Trek, I recommend purchasing travel insurance for your own peace of mind. There has been numerous insurance company of choice because of their comprehensive health coverage with 24/7 medical emergency assistance. As well, the process to making claims is super easy and smooth!
Book with Local Operator
Whether it’s a cultural tour, gentle walking holiday or strenuous trek, our holidays in Nepal are led by professionally-trained English speaking leaders. They have an intimate and expert knowledge of the history, culture and nature of Nepal and will make your trip a memorable experience. Thus hurry up and reserve your place to witness this Tiji festival 2022 in Lo Monthang, Upper Mustang.